Have you ever been chased through a haunted house attraction by a Jason Voorhees look alike? I have and it is one scary experience! Here are the best places to have your own scary encounter–if you dare!
1. The Dent Haunted Schoolhouse (Cincinnati, OH) is reportedly haunted by a real ghost named Charlie. In addition to the haunted house, there is a maze. http://www.frightsite.com/
2. Nightmare on 17th Street (Cheyenne, WY) has lots of scary theme rooms, such as Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Dead Silence (think evil puppets). http://www.nightmareon17thstreet.com/
3. 13th Floor Haunted House (San Antonio, TX; Phoenix, AZ; Denver, CO). This is one of the only haunted houses that I’m aware of that has real snakes and other creepy creatures. http://www.13thflooraz.com/
4. Edge of Hell (Kansas City, MO) is inside a five-story old warehouse filled with nearly 50 eerie characters ready to scare you good! The attraction ends with participants shooting down a slide into “hell!” http://www.edgeofhell.com/
5. Pirates of Emerson (Pleasanton, CA) is actually six haunted houses: Pirates of Emerson, Wicked Wild West, Habitat of Hags, Mental Maza, Doll Hostel, and Lockdown. www.piratesofemerson.com
6. Scream World has five scary attractions, including Outdoor Zombie Graveyard and Slaughter House. www.screamworld.com
7. Blood Manor (Manhatten, NY) features Killer Klowns, DisGraceland, Wall Crawler in Death Row, Cabaret of Death, Graveyard of the Doomed, and Zombie of the Apocalypse. http://www.bloodmanor.com/
8. Netherworld (Norcross, GA) offers spectacular special effects, robotics, and live performers who will do whatever it takes to give you the scare of your life! www.fearworld.com
9. Scare House (Pittsburg, PA). With features like “Delirium 3-D” and “Zombies,” how can it not be the perfect haunted attraction? http://www.scarehouse.com/
10. Erebus Haunted House (Pontiac, MI) is featured in the Guiness Book of Records. It is the largest (walking) haunted house in the world. The attraction extends four floors, all leading to Hell! http://www.hauntedpontiac.com/
*These haunted attractions are not suited for small children. Also, these are seasonal attractions. Check websites for more information on age minimums, costs, and hours of operation.
But if you want to visit a REAL haunted house, these are the MOST haunted houses in America… One has even been officially certified “haunted” by the U.S. government!